Homemade Mayonnaise - Simple things

Yesterday I tried my hand at making mayonnaise at home for the first time.

We have eliminated all 'food-like' substances from our pantry and now only eat real foods (foods without chemicals). I have discovered that it is quite a challenge to find foods, other than fresh foods and veggies, that are not loaded with chemicals of some sort or another - and buying organic is not only expensive but requires that I travel a great distance to a specialty store. So the other option is to make my own. Back to the mayonnaise.

For the first attempt I used olive oil. We use great quantities of olive oil so I buy the most economical (cheapest) that I can find. Works just fine for oil and vinegar dressing, cooking, and skin conditioning. In mayonnaise, however, it is an abomination. That batch was thrown out.

For today's attempt I used safflower oil. The result was a very light tasting and wonderfully creamy delight. I was also surprised to learn two things: 1. How simple it is to make. 2. How healthy it is for you. I have always been told that mayonnaise is unhealthy and fattening. How can two egg yolks (from my own hens) and some very good quality safflower oil be unhealthy?

Making mayonnaise may seem like a simple thing, but I was quite tickled with myself that I was able to do it. This reminded me of how our consumer driven disposable society has become almost completely removed from simple living skills. People often ask me "what do you eat?" and when I reply "real food" most of them have no idea what that means.

The 'virtual' world that we have created today is not without it's benefits - I am using one of those benefits right now as I write this blog. However I believe that many of the problems that exist today can be solved by learning simple living skills, such as creating meals from real food, finding entertainment in the out of doors (instead of in front of the TV) and learning to make things that we want with our own hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment